Saturday, August 1, 2015

birth story part 1 | his story

I decided it would be fun for Cody to write out his view of our labor/delivery to look back on, so enjoy!

Stephanie and I drive to the LBK fairly regularly, but July 23rd, Thursday morning was by far our fastest arrival yet. Not because we were speeding or panicked we just had so much going through our heads we didn't even talk to each other until we were five minutes away.

I wasn't nervous upon arrival just excited to hold my little girl later that day. I felt a little awkward because everyone was so excited to see their co-worker, aka my wife, going into labor meanwhile I was like an invisible ghost. I was like, "Hi, I'm the dad/husband of the pregnant woman you're hugging." I was still ignored. Sometimes Stephanie and I do a poor job of introducing each other to our friends in different circles. I really didn't have any expectations going into the induction. I just thought the medicine would cause her to dilate, thus breaking her water, thus bringing the baby. 

For a long time this didn't happen. For hours Stephanie didn't dilate! I waited patiently, our families waited anxiously, Stephanie got annoyed. Stephanie sees 1 to 2 births every day she works her 12 hour shifts. Therefore, I know she has played the scenario of her own delivery in her head over and over and over and over. Our reality probably wasn't one of those scenarios. My wife is an anxious person, this causes her to be organized and well-equipped on any journey we embark together. However, it also causes her to worry about things that may or may not happen. Thus, this caused her to read her own baby monitor strip like a fortune-teller predicting what will happen in the near future concerning her delivery. As she monitored the monitor, I monitored her emotions.

Several times I had asked everyone to leave the room, so Stephanie could voice her concerns to me. We prayed and I continued to try to give her comfort any chance I could. I told our families to turn their phones on silent and to stop reporting verbally to all the text's asking "are we there yet?" (Our families were amazingly supportive and we could have never imagine the day without them. It's rare to have families who want to do everything they can to help their children and siblings have a memorable experience.) Stephanie multi tasked  in our labor and delivery room being part nurse/part patient. More accurately 75% nurse and 25% patient. At about 7 o'clock after 13 hours of oxytocin, many contractions being one minute apart lasting 45 seconds. I was about ready to turn off the machine, so Stephanie could get some rest. We were faced with the choice: breakwater and speed up the process, or turn off all machines and get some rest. My vote was for the latter, Stephanie was undecided, and thankfully our wonderful doctor (who unfriended me on Facebook, inside joke) was on my team as well. So our folks got us food, we went on several walks, and got a terrible nights rest in the hospital like people always do.

Friday:

We started oxytocin again at 6 AM, Stephanie had not progressed since the day before at about 6  AM. Our  little girl was quite comfortable exactly where she was. Dr. Devine came in at about 10 and broke Stephanie's water, consequently causing her contractions to amplify greatly in pain. Now I felt like I was in a movie pushing with a pregnant person for real. Stephanie squeezed my hand every two minutes, upon my request she cut her fingernails because she likes to inflict pain when in pain. I pray for my wife to repent of this action. I truly was just focused on Stephanie's comfort. I knew birth was an uncomfortable thing (Genesis 3:16), but I didn't know how uncomfortable until Stephanie's water was broken. After an hour of hard labor she requested kindly, "Epidural please..." 

The epidural honestly made me nervous. I've heard too many stories about guys passing out whenever they saw the needle. I didn't think I was going to be in this category but I didn't know. Just as a precaution, I made sure to constantly bend my legs as the CRNA administered the drugs. I caught a glimpse of the needle and it wasn't bad. I also found out that I worked for the CRNA's friend at Covenant Specialty Hospital while I was in college. Stephanie took it like a champ! I was really proud of her! After this the labor was easy. She dilated from a four to a ten in just under 3 1/2 hours while napping! Thank you medicine, one of the few things you do right. 

When Emily our nurse came in saying, "Let's have a baby," I was very emotional and tried to hold it together. The room kept filling up with people and being the flawed individual that I am it's hard for me to get emotional around people I don't know. Nonetheless, I was just overjoyed that our 32 hour journey was almost completed allowing us to see the result of Stephanie and I's love! She pushed for like 20 mins and then she came! She was beautiful! She cried a little slower then I liked, but since none of the medical pros were freaking out I tried to keep it together! I was so thrilled to see her beautiful face, and all 11 toes and fingers! Just kidding there's twelve. For the next hour I just stared at Evynn and kissed Stephanie! It was amazing!

Later, that night I was thinking why did we cry when we saw Evynn for the first time? Obviously, they were tears of joy, but why tears at all? Revelations 21:4 says God will one day swipe every tear from His children's eyes. I told Stephanie, deep down we know that this place is not our home and we long for the perfection of constant fellowship with Jesus our risen savior, therefore I think we cried because some joy is so close to heaven we wish all of life was like those moments! I am still overjoyed by seeing my wife care for our daughter and knowing finally I get to hold my sweet little girl in my arms.

5:00am, leaving our house to head to the hospital! looking very large!

all hooked up to the monitors and medicine

excited dad-to-be!


 eager family waiting to meet little evynn
birth ball chair and popsicles

 our night time walk after dinner :)


a teary picture at the end of a long thursday

friday:






 post epidural nap
photography by Cody ;)

realizing "it's time" and alerting the troops!

one last belly picture and couple picture while the room was set up for delivery

nana and mimi listening in
 our first family of 3 picture











once we got moved upstairs to postpartum, lots of cuddles and naps took place


evynn loves to lift her head way up!



...meanwhile, mom and dad resting



 baby eyelashes




ready to head home!


 once we got home, aunt stephanie and uncle cody came over to meet evynn



mygrant family pictures


birth pictures/my story/first week at home coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment