Monday, May 19, 2014

raid the fridge

I've been trying to be better about using what we have in the refrigerator and cabinet rather than getting new groceries all the time, here's a few meals I threw together on the spot:


meatless fried quinoa
made just like fried rice
boil up some quinoa all while sauteing some garlic and onion in a BIG skillet. Once the garlic and onion are nice and golden brown, add in 2-3 eggs and scramble them and all add in some peas and carrots (I usually dump about half a frozen bag). Finally add in the quinoa (this is when you could add meat too). Mix all together and then add the good'ins-butter and soy sauce. I've made this once with too much and again with too little, so just use your own discretion. 

It takes like your local hibachi grill but at home and cheaper...and healthier :)

soy sauce and garlic chicken with zuchinni
we had some frozen chicken breasts in the freeze so I threw those in the crockpot with soy sauce, garlic cloves, 2/3 cup apple cidar vinegar, 1 cup brown sugar, salt and papper and called it a day (thank goodness for recipies that accomadate my night-shift sleeping habits :))

we also had a few zuchinnis that were bound to go bad soon so I cut them in half long ways and topped them off with olive oil, parmesean cheese and some seasonings and cooked those in the oven at 350 for 20 min. 

since we had leftover chicken from this meal...


BBQ chicken pizza
I finally tried out the Jiffy pizza crust mix. Lesson learned, should've used 2 boxes for the crust. But I prepared the crust and topped it with... leftover chicken from the night before mixed with BBQ sauce, cherry tomatoes, red pepper and cheese. YUM! 

That's it so far, 3 dinners, no groccery store stop :)


lettuce burger wraps
this one of Cody and I's favorite meals and it's (somewhat) healthy! We had a head of lettuce that I pulled apart in complete pieces. We cooked up some burger patties (I did the crockpot while I sleep, but you can do it however). Add the hamburger meat to the inside of the lettuce piece with some black beans and avocado slices, yum!

we still had some meat and lettuce left over so...


taco pizza
I used 2 boxes of jiffy pizza crust mix for the crust. I then concocted a "taco" sauce with some ingredients in our cabinet-siracha sauce, fajita seasoning, and olive oil. I added the leftover meat from the burger wraps and black beans, corn, onion and cheese and baked it. Then I added some chopped up lettuce on top afterwards. It was so good!! 












No comments:

Post a Comment