Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Mr. and Mrs.


another blog title change... but as I read my former blog title... and as I read other blogs.. I realize how much more fitting the title "the McMurray Life" is. As much as I love thrift shopping, cooking, and socializing with friends... these days most of my time is spent working, sleeping for work, or planning the next weekend. I figured the title is more appropriate to discuss not only these things I enjoy, but also the truth about marriage, life as a pastor's wife, and someday as we grow into a family!

I was reading a post earlier about marriage.. and how before the actual reality sets in (you know. you're home from your honeymoon, finished the last of the thank you cards, and just got back to work from taking the time off) .. you associate the word "marriage" with the joy of lace wedding dresses, centerpieces, and bridesmaid activities.

Weddings are not perfect... (it POURED rain on my wedding day, my photographer constantly wanted to move onto the next thing when I wasn't finished with the first, and I didn't even get to eat any cake!, ha!) but neither is marriage!

However, once the reality does set in.. marriage is real. Cody works full time normal people hours as a youth pastor, while I work full time 12 hour night shifts as a nurse. Due to this, we sometimes rarely see each other. When I work 3-4 days in a row and he's busy planning the next DNOW or 5th quarter event, a 45 minute visit once a day is about as good as it gets. When I am off work for a few days, I struggle to get back on a day schedule, making me constantly tired and sneaking in naps as Cody goes back to the office for a few hours.

In between those odd hours, I've found it so much harder to make time to have quality girl time. With all of my close girl friends having full time daytime schedules, it has made it so much harder to squeeze in those precious moments with my close friends. So while I've heard forever that you're spouse is your "best friend", those words are more true now than ever.

The point? Sometimes I'm exhausted from working the 3rd night in a row, sometimes I'm too tired because I've slept 4 hours in the last day, sometimes I'm lonely because the only person I have seen in a few days is my dear husband. But this is marriage. we cherish the moments we DO have together, are learning what communication is all about, and learning to love each other in our worst moments. This man is my best friend-the one who chases me around the house and makes me laugh to the point of tears, and the man who listens to me when I'm upset about the silliest of things. He is my comforter, He always leads me to Jesus, encourages me to push others to Jesus, prays for me, and pursues me.

Just wanted to give my best friend a big shout out for putting up with me!


No comments:

Post a Comment