Sunday, July 23, 2017

Evynn Claire's County Fair

Back in January I noticed Evynn really enjoyed watching shows with barn yard animals. My mind started racing, and I started to think of how we could incorporate that into her 2nd birthday party. Doesn't everyone plan kids birthday parties 6 months in advance?! I found the perfect traveling petting zoo through Whitley Acres just outside of Lubbock, and I quickly booked the "mini" petting zoo for our smallest guests we would be expecting come July!

So, I had the farm animals taken care of, now I went between a full barnyard theme party or county fair. I ended up leaning towards a party with lots of plaid and gingham and decided county fair all the way. I really loved the idea of having mini pies as well which actually was part of my love for the county fair theme, and didn't end up making them once the party arrived!

I wanted some plain ribbons to decorate with since county fairs are full of awards for animals/produce/baked goods/etc. but couldn't find any. So, after many hours and lots of yardstick paper and I made tons of cute ribbons! 

All that to say, once the actual day arrived, I was SO excited to see this party come together!! I happened to also work the four (12 hour) days leading up to the party so I couldn't be more thankful for my family and Claire aka the party planning committee for helping throw it all together early Saturday! Not to mention, we were in our new house so projects are ongoing around here but the party was the perfect "open house". 

I will say, I planned the time at 11am to avoid colliding with toddler naps, but getting everything ready for a morning/lunch party was no easy feat. The clock was running so much faster than I was and I feel like we barely had it all together in time! 

decor:
backdrop-lattice from home depot
banners- burlap from hobby lobby, homemade fabric strip banner, and homemade paper ribbon banner
wooden crates to display cupcakes-I've had these for years and they've been in countless parties
red tickets
bandanas
small hay stacks
little cardboard products crates
chalkboard signs
fondant barn/animals purchased through local upcycle site 
the smallest party hats made from extra paper









menu:
crockpot pulled pork/slider buns
chips
corn dogs pigs in a blanket
I really thought it would be easy to find frozen corn dogs the day of the party, but I couldn't find them!
 I also thought I wouldn't wear my hair in a pony tail for the party but time ran out, ya know?!
fruit: strawberries, grapes, watermelon
veggies: carrots, broccoli,  tomatoes, and ranch
cupcakes with mini funnel cakes on top
I did buy cupcakes from the store bakery but I made the funnel cakes the morning of.


We needed zero more toys for our already full play room so we asked for no toys, instead people could bring a card or write a card at the party for Evynn to read when she is 18. I found this idea on Pinterest and decided it would be perfect for people to leave some love without crowding our house with more toys, ha!

our entry way with the "summer boardwalk" candle of course!


We borrowed the wheelbarrow from a friend to use as the "cooler" as well as some hay. We threw down some blankets for additional seating.



trying to sneak a cupcake ;)

word got out that she reallyyyy wanted a cupcake so we went on and started the singing. She was excited but also little shy about everyone singing to her. She has the sweetest little shy face that we knew she would do, so glad we got a picture of it!







that cupcake was the first of.. several ha! And she wouldn't let any go to waste. In this picture she left some icing on the wheelbarrow, but turned around and wiped it right off and ate it. She did proceed to kiss brothers cheek and leave some icing remnants on him ;)



the animals consisted of a pig, goats, a duck, bunnies, and turtles. I thought the pig was soo cute! Dirty, but cute. He was in character too, getting water from the water bowl and making a mud area. The duck was sitting right in the water. And the toddlers would occasionally eat the animal feed. Ha!

We drew "snouts" on the pink cups for an additional touch and made a kissing booth for photo ops!


I missed snapping a pic but Evynn got a new wagon from her mimi and pop which already got worn in with several wagon rides during the party!

After the party Evynn got to open her tricycle from nana and papa. she was excited, but not willing to let go of her watermelon ;)



Thank you to everyone who came to our party! I know several close friends of ours were out of town and we hate to have missed them! 

This party was soooo fun to brain storm about and get creative! Now, onto the next! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment