Tuesday, July 9, 2013

DIY Marquee Letter


I made this easy-6-step marquee letter for my wedding, but am also using it for various other things in the meantime. I had some leftover cardboard boxes from moving so I used that for the supplies, along with some bronze spray paint and big lightbulbs.

1. I free handed the "M", I suggest making it a bold letter. I know that the point is crooked here, I fixed it in the next step :)

2. Cut it out (see, I fixed it!) and make the holes for the lightbulbs. I made mine 2" apart, using the point of scissors. 

3. I cut the cardboard into smaller, manageable pieces then put them up against the "M" frame. I measured and decided how thick/wide/tall/etc. I wanted to the frame and cut the cardboard accordingly. I used the first piece as a model for the rest of the pieces. I ended up with 10 pieces of cardboard total to cover all the sides. Theres about a 1 1/2-2" border of cardboard on each side of the "M". 

4. I began hot gluing it all together. Just making sure that it all lined up!

5. This is the final product, pre-paint and lightbulbs.

6. I painted it a bronze color and then got big light bulbs, unscrewed the bulb from the cord and popped it through the hole then went back and connected the cord to the backing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment